Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From the DIY Kitchen: Crab Chowder

This is just one of many variations on a tried and true chowder recipe from my youth. The actual recipe this was modified from will probably make an appearance on the blog in the Fall - it's a corn, bacon & potato chowder perfect for chilly weather. King crab leg clusters were on sale recently and we were having some nasty weekend weather, so I was inspired to whip up this new recipe. We served this for dinner with toast points and a green salad and then for lunch another day. It's super customizable to your preferences, so go ahead and add more veggies, change the veggies, use a different protein, change the seasonings!

Crab Chowder
4-6 Servings (4 BIG bowls - we were hungry!)


2 clusters of snow crab legs, meat removed from shells
½ large onion, chopped
1/2 c. diced celery
½ c. diced carrot
3 raw potatoes, peeled and sliced
4 cups of water
6T. melted butter
6T. flour
4 cups of milk
1 ½ C. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (Buy it shredded!)
½ to 1 cup frozen corn
½ tsp. (or more) Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper

Remove crab meat from the shells, keeping the shells mostly intact. Set crab meat aside in a bowl. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and carrots, cook until onions are clear. Add potatoes, celery, and water, cook until boiling. Do not drain. Add crab shells and sprinkle old bay seasoning. Let boil with the shells for at least 20 minutes and then remove them.*

In saucepan, blend butter and flour smoothly, then add the milk. Stir over low heat until smooth and thick (this will take about 10-15 minutes to thicken.) Add cheese and stir until melted. Add corn to vegetable mixture, then add the milk/cheese mixture. Heat over low heat to combine mixtures and allow potatoes to get soft - but don't boil! After simmering for about 30 minutes, I left it on very low heat for about 2 hours, but in a pinch you can serve immediately. Salt and pepper (and add more Old Bay Seasoning) to taste.


*When I make this again I'll probably boil the water with the crab shells first and then strain and add to the veggie mix, but since I haven't tried that yet, I'm staying true to my method in writing this up...there were a few stray shell pieces that had to be picked out. No one died.

This was delicious, I'm so glad that the guy at the seafood department gave me a few extra clusters for free - he was about the switch them out cuz they were starting to look a little rough...but he assures me there's nothing wrong with them!





3 comments:

  1. This sounds really yummy. With fall coming up, I definitely want to try my hand at making a few chowders. Thanks for sharing. Visiting via The Charlotte Social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I love this chowder base because it's totally customizable to whatever vegetables you have and not as unhealthy as some (there's not heavy cream...butter, yes)

      Delete
    2. I love seafood ... especially crab! Now that the weather is getting a little chillier, I totally have soup on the brain. Thanks for sharing this recipe right in the nick of time!

      Delete