Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up & Menu

On Friday we finally made it to Food Truck Friday in South End. We arrived early and still had to circle the block to find parking. We ordered 3 tacos from Tin Kitchen (Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp, Brisket, and Pork Belly) and split a Pig Mac grilled cheese from Papi Queso - who can resist a perfectly grilled cheese with pulled pork, caramelized onions, and mac & cheese?! Not this girl. The grilled cheese was definitely the highlight of the night.
Good, but they should double up the tortillas.


I used up my pint of blueberries by making scrumptious blueberry crisp. I am not ashamed to say that I ate it for dessert on Friday AND breakfast on Saturday (at least I left the ice cream off on Saturday morning.) After that we watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad Season 5 which just came out on Netflix Instant Play. We didn't start watching the show until late last summer, so we have been waiting to catch up on the first half of the final season ever since. I made myself a delicious Bloody Mary with pepper infused vodka and McClure's Bloody Mary Mix (which tastes mostly like pickle juice - yum) that my friend Jordo gave me. I think Bloody Mary's are an acceptable drink for any time of day, not just brunch.
Evidence of my shame...gobbled down half right out of the oven.

Saturday we lazed around in the morning and then headed to the mall so I could return some items that I'd ordered online and didn't work out. The mall was a zoo because of tax free weekend so we didn't stay long. Saturday night we watched the end of Breaking Bad.

Sunday we ran errands and did some house hunting then some cleaning in anticipation of some friends who will be staying with us later this week as part of a cross country road trip.

What we're eating this week
1. Moroccan Chicken from here. I was slightly concerned when I made this the first time, it uses a lot of spices, and I wasn't sure it would be a hit with A., but it passed the test.
2. Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers - they really are actually delicious. Some turkey burgers are dry and blah, these are the opposite. They can also be tweaked with any additional ingredients you'd like to include - grated zucchini, bbq, etc. I usually use a whole egg and grate my onion instead of dice. My mouth is watering as I write this, thinking about these burgers topped with pickle and thick slices of farmer's market tomato.
3. One Pot Pasta (my parents have re-named this Potsta). I add some frozen bagged spinach to the mix. This is another one that could be tweaked - can't wait to experiment with different ingredients. The starch thickens the cooking liquid into a delicious, almost velvety sauce.
4. Eggplant Pesto Panini - I love Skinnytaste! We have a bunch of Gina's recipes on regular rotation. Favorites include her zucchini sticks, Sicilian Rice Ball Casserole, and Quinoa & Spinach patties. These sandwiches are from a recent post of hers, and we enjoyed them for lunch over the weekend and will have them again later this week. They just taste like summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment