Monday, September 9, 2013

Veggie Burger Test Kitchen

After a hearty roast beef dinner last night, I'm planning to try my hand at a few new veggie burger recipes this week. I love whipping up a big batch of burgers/veggie cakes and freezing them between parchment paper for lunches. I've also got a few other favorite tried and true recipes which I'll share below. Another favorite of mine, not homemade, would be Trader Joe's Veggie Masala Burgers - they are great chopped up in a wrap using naan for the wrap bread, ranch dressing or tzitziki sauce and shredded lettuce. Yum! I'll be sure to come back and update you on the results of the test recipes.

Tried & True
Zucchini "Mock Crab Cakes" - my Grandmother's recipe (follows the rest of the recipes.) The zucchini really does seem "crabby" in texture.
Quinoa Spinach Cakes - from Skinnytaste, these freeze well and are great with an egg on top!

Test Kitchen
Black Bean & Brown Rice Veggie Burgers - modified from: http://www.marthastewart.com/316269/black-bean-and-brown-rice-cakes
Brown Rice & Lentil Cakes - modified from: http://engine2diet.com/recipe/candle-cafe-brown-rice-and-lentil-burgers/


Zucchini Mock Crab Cakes
2 c. grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten
1 T. mayo
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (or more)
1 c. Italian bread crumbs (I've used unseasoned Panko with success too)

Mix all ingredients together.
Make into cakes.
Fry like pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment