Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIY - Decoupage Halloween Jars

Now that it's October, I'm ready to share one of my favorite (and easiest) Halloween DIYs. On a side note, how is it October?


I first saw a picture of these spooky and playful jar luminaries on Pinterest, but they come from here. I loved them so much I had to make some of my own. I had some empty pasta sauce jars in the recycle bin and a burned up small Yankee Candle jar which were perfect for this craft. I'm a BIG fan of instant gratification projects, and reusing items I already have. I didn't have to buy anything for this project. You can put a battery powered tealight candle in these to make them glow, or just admire them as they are.

You'll need:
-Leftover jars (remove the labels, if using leftover candles, remove the wax)
-Tissue paper in various Halloween colors (I used purple, orange with yellow squares, and green/purple polka dots)
-Scissors
-Modge Podge or white glue
-Halloween shapes cut out of white paper (I used construction paper and printer paper). I found Halloween clip art on Google and traced it onto the paper and then cut it out.

Steps
1. Tear tissue paper into small pieces and put aside. I ripped them into shreds of various sizes from about an inch to two inches.
2. Cover jar with Modge Podge or glue. Your hands will get super sticky. You can use a paintbrush or just do what I did an squirt the white glue all over and spread it with your fingers. Either will work.
3. Overlap tissue paper, attaching to the jar. You'll want it to be opaque, but not so thick that it blocks the candle light, if you'll be using candles. You may need to use a little bit more glue to get the ends to stay down.
4. Let dry and then attach the cut-out Halloween shapes.
5. Attach any little ribbons or additional decoration you want. For my ghost jar, I found a little scrap of orange polka dot ribbon in my gift wrap collection and attached it.




All lit up. The skeleton is kind of hard to see in this picture, but he also kind of looks like he's dancing (right?)
Do you wait until October to bring out the Halloween decorations? What's your favorite Halloween craft?

1 comment: