Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wine Wall Art

Our apartment is filled with decorative personal touches - I love DIY crafts which remind me of fun trips, experiences and other memories. One of the projects I've been working on for awhile is our wine label wall art. When we finish a bottle of wine, I remove the label before recycling the bottle. A few months ago I picked up a 15 picture collage frame at IKEA and have attached each label to a piece of card stock. I love that the labels can be changed out. When I first filled the frames, I included labels from pretty much any bottle of wine, but now I'm starting to switch them out for wine labels that are meaningful (wedding wine) or wines that we really enjoy. I may need to get a second frame soon, or figure out something else to do with the labels. I've seen a cool coaster project using wine labels...
With one spot left.
And here it is above our bar cart - a makeover is in the cards for the cart, eventually.
I'm totally guilty of judging a book by it's cover and buying wines with pretty labels, and this project definitely exacerbates that problem.

I've tried a number of ways to remove the label, and find that it depends on the bottle and type of label for which method works best. Typically I fill the bottle with extremely hot tap water to at least the top of the label and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This helps to melt the glue/adhesive and makes it easier to peel away. Sometimes I use a razor blade to help pull the edges away, but usually they will come off pretty well after just letting the hot water sit for a little while. The adhesive stays pretty sticky, which makes it easy to attach the labels to cardstock for framing. I've taped the tops and bottoms of each card onto the white mat so they don't slide out of place.

I love this project, it's easy, but I love what it adds to our otherwise bare wall above the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment