Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Inconvenience

At the beginning of November I saw a post on one of my friend's Facebook timelines for a 21 Day Gratitude Challenge. Admittedly I got signed up a little bit late, but the nice thing is, the daily prompts work any day of the year. This time of year seems to bring out the community and giving spirit in so many people, so I've been loving getting the email prompts every morning. Of course, I think it's important to be involved in helping the community year-round; I've been trying to organize a service project for November for a group I'm part of and have been having a hard time finding one with openings. Its great that so many people want to volunteer, but the coordinators said they have a ton of other projects throughout the year where they struggle to get enough volunteers.
You can register to receive the daily prompts at www.kindspring.org

For the next few weeks you may see some of my blog posts themed after one of the 21 daily prompts.
For instance, Day Four's theme was "What Inconvenience Are You Grateful For?" On first read, I struggled to come up with something. How could I be grateful for something that is inconvenient, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. We live in a time where we can get practically everything immediately. I've written here on the blog about how happy I get when something I order online comes the next day. About a week ago we woke up to our internet service not working. After spending some time on the phone with our provider, they let me know that no one could come out until the next day to fix it. I wasn't really pleased, but what could I do? And you know what? That was one of the most productive days I've had in a LONG time. I ran several errands that I'd been putting off, spent some extra time making dinner, and had a long chat with both of my parents on the phone. The sad part is, most of the time I spend on the internet isn't doing anything productive, it's refreshing social media sites to see what's new. It actually felt good to close my laptop and know that I would have little use for it until the next day. I will admit that I found myself reaching for it several times before remembering that it wouldn't do me much good.

This prompt reminded me of a song I loved my senior year in high school called Red Light by Jonny Lang:
"You sing a song while sitting at a red light
You think of home while sitting at a red light

Too slow to roll, put your life on hold
An open path with nowhere to go
You start to wonder while sitting at a red light

You can run a red light, give up at a red light
You break the mold when running through the tolls
Speeding through your whole life

A chance to breathe while sitting at a red light
You look around reflecting on your life

A chance to think, Am I drinking too much?
Should I keep going, lose the life that I love?
A second glance when coming to a red light."

No comments:

Post a Comment