Friday, November 1, 2013

October Wrap Up Five on Friday

I've been a bum this week. My in-laws were in town Thursday through Monday last weekend and my dude's been away in Florida/Georgia since Monday afternoon, so I took the chance to be a complete and total lazybones. Took a nice long bath, read for awhile on the roof terrace on a nice afternoon, ate all the foods that A. won't eat. But, this doesn't help much in generating a top 5 list for the week. Instead, I'd like to recap the top 5 October moments/what I'm looking forward to in November for today's Five on Friday.

1. Cape Cod - I already wrote a whole entry on our trip to Cape Cod, but it feels like it was so long ago! We enjoyed a wonderful early October weekend on Cape Cod to celebrate our friends' wedding. As much as it gets old to live far away and have to travel so far for weddings, we've been blessed to see a lot of our friends several times this year. Keep getting married people, we miss seeing you!

2. Biltmore - as part of our hosting activities last week, we took my in-laws out to the Biltmore House in Asheville. I'll be honest, my favorite part was the wine tasting. Here's why: 1. I hate crowds. 2. I hate heat (especially the old school kind - I remember almost gagging several times in college after walking to class and having the classroom be super hot with the radiators pumping. I am not a radiator girl), and the day we went it was super cold out, so the heat was UP. 3. I hate inconsiderate people. Don't you hate those people in the grocery store who are too busy on their phone to pay attention to all the room they're taking up? Well the Biltmore was like that on crack last weekend. Something about those handheld audio-tour devices just makes people stop dead in their tracks. Who wouldn't need a little wine after all that?! Okay, now that I'm done complaining, the Biltmore was gorgeous, the gardens and their fall mums and the conservatory were incredible and I really enjoyed touring the house. I can't believe all that goes in to keeping that place up. Another highlight for me were the shuttle drivers - I know that's a really weird thing to say, but they were so informative during the short ride from the parking lot to the house and back. They answered historical questions, gave us tips on using the restroom before entering the house, etc.

3. Yay November! November is just a fantastic month - it's my birthday month, Thanksgiving, and just a cozy, wonderful month, if you ask me. I'm looking forward to birthday celebrations, a trip to Philly to see family, and all the other fun that November has to offer. For the first time in a LONG time we aren't flying anywhere this month, nor do we have any flights booked.

4. As much as I've enjoyed some alone time this week, I am excited for A. to get home tonight! This was his longest trip in a while, and while I really enjoyed spreading out across the whole bed, I'm ready for a low-key weekend with no plans with just A. and me.

5. An extra hour of sleep! I'm not wild about the consequences of the extra hour (dark an hour earlier) but I love the Sunday of the end of Daylight Savings Time. I'm hoping that the early darkness might help me get back on track - I've been staying up way too late recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment