Monday, November 11, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up & Menu for the Week

What a fun birthday weekend! I mentioned on Friday that the weekend would be food themed and it sure was! Friday night we picked up some cupcakes at Gigi's Cupcakes in South Park to enjoy with a bottle of wine and some movies from Redbox.

Saturday was my actual birthday and we celebrated at Good Food on Montford. I'd heard you have to arrive early to avoid a long wait, so we arrived around 5:45 or 6 and got one of the last two-top tables. I loved the ambience - the light fixtures with silverware etc. Everything we ordered was delicious. We got the green curry mussels and truffle fries, the quail lettuce wraps and steamed bun, shrimp arepas and parmesan gnocchi. I drank a pumpkin cocktail and A. stuck to beer. Even though we were pretty stuffed after all of those small plates, I literally could not resist the chocolate brownie, mostly because it was served with cookie butter ice cream - be still my heart. I HIGHLY recommend Good Food on Montford. Every ingredient included in every dish we ordered was perfectly thought out and expertly prepared.

Sunday we slept in and then headed to Bricktop's in South Park for brunch. We started with the mini donuts appetizer, which comes with three dipping sauces - chocolate, vanilla, and raspberry. As soon as noon rolled around, the bartender brought me a Bloody Mary - the mix was great but it lacked garnishes besides a lemon wedge (I need to try the Bloody Mary at Queen City Q, I hear it comes with a cocktail shrimp and pulled pork, in addition to veggies.) I ordered the crab benedict with homefries, which was really delicious. I was nervous after ordering because I love Eggs Benedict and have had a few disappointing experiences when I spring for something other than the traditional English muffin/ham and poached eggs variety. The crab benedict came on what seemed like a homemade English muffin, a generous pile of fresh crabmeat, perfectly poached eggs, and a deliciously lemony Hollandaise sauce. A. got the Chicken & Waffles and he said they were great. It was our first time at Bricktop's but I'm sure we'll be back!

The rest of Sunday was dedicated to catching up on some cleaning, menu planning, grocery shopping, cooking and Sunday night tv. I'm starting to really appreciate a good Sunday dinner - something that takes more effort than I'd be willing to put forth on a weeknight. Last night we had Roast Beef, mashed potatoes with homemade mushroom gravy and roasted cabbage (we've found we like cabbage roasted with bacon bits recently.) And of course we ate our leftover Gigi's cupcake for dessert - yum.

What we're eating this Week
-Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
-Shrimp & Fish Tacos
-Beef with Barley Soup and a Spinach and Smoked Mozzarella Salad (ala Wolfgang Puck's Pizza Bar salad)
-Spicy Italian Sausage Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment