Monday, December 9, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up and Menu Monday

We had a nice weekend that was a mix of busy and lazy. Sunday's nasty weather really lent itself to a lazy day. We went outside once to walk to the grocery store to return Redbox movies and grab an onion for last night's dinner. Love a dreary Sunday every once in a while because it makes me feel okay with wasting a whole day doing nothing.

Friday evening we decided to check out the Speedway Christmas event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. We aren't racing fans, but this sounded like fun - Christmas movies on their giant HDTV screen, over 3 miles of lights, a Christmas village with concessions, a petting zoo and rides, and a chance to drive your own car on a few of the turns on the track. The beautiful weather on Friday made it even more fun - we rode through the light show with our windows down, blaring Christmas music from the radio. We visited the animals, walked through the shops, and split a funnel cake. The movie that night was Christmas Vacation, we didn't stay to watch it but the screen was really impressive.


Saturday we made a quick trip to IKEA to pick up a bunch of picture frames, then we stopped by our house site after we'd gotten a call that our foundation had been poured the day before. I'd been worrying all week about when they'd be able to pour it because of all the rain that was in the forecast. Luckily, with the break in the rain Friday and Saturday, the foundation was poured and framing will start this week (you can follow along with weekly update pictures under the "Our House" tab.) Ended up doing our grocery shopping on Saturday afternoon so that we could have a lazy day at home on Sunday.


Sunday we slept in and then I made soup for lunch - Chicken & Stuffing Dumpling Soup...yes, I made a box of Stovetop stuffing a week after Thanksgiving...yes that makes me ridiculous. To be fair, I'd found the recipe before Thanksgiving, but there weren't any leftovers for us to take home. It was delicious and would definitely be even better with homemade stock from the turkey bones, and leftover turkey and stuffing. It reminded me a lot of matzoh ball soup but the stuffing made for even better "dumpling balls" because of the poultry seasoning.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning, cooking, and watching football and our regular Sunday night shows. The Eagles game in the blizzard was a ton of fun to watch. Somehow Lincoln Financial Field got a lot more snow than my parents' house about a half an hour away. I can't believe that I'm starting to enjoy watching football...very unexpected. Maybe Texas rubbed off on me even more than I thought.

 Menu for the Week

On Friday afternoon I had stopped by Pasta & Provisions to take advantage (again!) of their Friday meal deal. I picked the pomodoro sauce and a pound of fresh linguine.  I love their fresh pasta and can't wait to enjoy it for dinner a few times this week.

-Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy
-Cioppino over linguine
-Linguine with Roasted Broccoli

I'll be back this week to talk about holiday traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment