Friday, January 10, 2014

First Five on Friday for Twenty-Fourteen

Okay, so not THE first, but MY first Five on Friday for the year. And it's all over the place.

1. Is it weird that I want to re-decorate for Christmas because I'm excited about all the stuff I got on sale after the holidays? Alas, we'll have to wait until next year to put it to use. I'm especially excited about the three throw pillow covers and cute iron reindeer card holder I got on sale from Pottery Barn. I love all these sentiments around the holidays (and any time): Peace, Joy, Jolly & Cheer.

2. Here in Charlotte (and practically everywhere else my Facebook friends live) experienced a serious cold snap earlier this week...cold weather calls for: Hot Cocoa spiked with Bailey's and TruWhip with Bailey's mixed in. It warmed my heart and my hands. We'll be keeping this one on the regular rotation.

I'd been reading about TruWhip on several sites like Skinnytaste etc, but this was our first time trying it - it was good! Although it reminds me of the commercial where the lady asks if you want cream or oil with your pie - but at least they're not hydrogenated oils.

3. I'm happy to report that we ordered a fridge, washer & dryer, and bedroom set to be delivered the week we move into the house. So at least for a bit, we can stop spending every waking evening & weekend moment shopping for appliances and furniture. There's still a bunch of stuff we need, but it can wait for a bit. We almost bought a floor model fridge at a great price, but then they told us that the delivery service wouldn't bring it into our house, just into the garage. Um yeah, no thanks, especially when you're offering free delivery and hook up on an only very slightly more expensive (and not discontinued) model.

4. The past few days a few of my girlfriends from high school and I have been emailing back and forth starting to plan a fun bachelorette weekend for our friend who is getting married this August in Boston. Nothing is in stone yet, but we're thinking of a wine/foodie weekend in the Hudson Valley region of Upstate NY. It's been fun to check out all the possibilities including wine tastings along one of the many wine trails, a visit to a cheesemaker, a meal at the Culinary Institute of America, and renting a cute cottage with some of my closest friends.

5. I'm always proud of myself when I pull off potstickers. They're actually easy to make, but labor intensive...once you finish though - so worth it. We had lettuce wraps and veggie potstickers for dinner this week (which I remixed as a lettuce wrap salad and potstickers one night when A. was out of town.) Here's my favorite vegetable potsticker recipe. They freeze and reheat well - just make sure to freeze them on a tray before putting them in a bag for storage, or put parchment paper between the layers or else they'll freeze together and the fragile wonton wrappers will break.


Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment