Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year's Pork x 3

As is tradition, we enjoyed pork, black eyed peas, cornbread, and greens (well, broccoli and peas - but they're green!) on New Year's Day. I made two pork tenderloins using a favorite recipe I found awhile back on Pinterest. My problem is, I think leftover pork tenderloin is kind of underwhelming as leftovers, unless you do something to transform it. Hopefully the number of after New Year's Day meals we've enjoyed transforming our leftover pork tenderloin will lead to a very, very lucky year.

Night One:
Traditional pork tenderloin, hoppin' john, cornbread, and broccoli (and delicious Mexican Chocolate Pots De Creme from a box mix from World Market, with Tru Whip.)


Night Two:
Pork Fried Rice with Japanese Cucumber Salad

For the pork fried rice I cubed a leftover pork tenderloin (about half of a tenderloin), sauteed some veggies with garlic, added rice (went the easy way out and used the microwaveable frozen rice from Trader Joe's), added soy sauce, grated some ginger over top, and cracked an egg and quickly scrambled it.

I grew up eating a vinegary cucumber salad that my grandmother made, and have recently started experimenting with some different flavors with it. For my most recent variation I used my mandolin to thinly slice 1 large cucumber, then used a mix of white vinegar and rice wine vinegar, water, salt, minced garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes. It's all to taste so I won't share amounts, but the cucumbers should be swimming in the mixture of vinegar(s) and water.


Night Three:
Pork and Udon Noodle Soup

This soup was super delicious and easy! I came across it after Googling what to do with leftover pork. For a soup that takes less than an hour to make, it has a ton of flavor - no doubt thanks to the fresh garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. I used rice noodles instead of udon noodles, but you could definitely use any variety of Asian noodle you prefer.

Do you enjoy leftovers as is, or do you transform them into "new" meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment