Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Simmering//Thai Ginger Chicken Soup

I find myself checking the weather report practically hourly to see if we'll get snow here in Charlotte (and how much!) This chilly weather they're calling for makes me want to curl up with some hot soup and a good book - so this week I'm on a mission to make several pots of soup and a big batch of sweet potato cornbread. I love making soups and my husband LOVES eating them - I think it might be his favorite food group. I especially love that you can transform basically the same 6 ingredients (carrots, celery, potato, chicken broth, garlic, and onion) into so many different soups from around the world. Here's what I'm thinking:

Mulligatawny
Creamy Sausage & Spinach Soup
Thai Chicken Vegetable

First up last night was Thai Chicken & Vegetable Soup. I'd seen the Swanson flavored Thai Ginger vegetable broth in the grocery store a few times but hadn't bought it until this week. There's a recipe for Chicken Soup on the back of the carton, so I started there and made some tweaks. I added a bunch of extra vegetables, some rice, and thickened it up a bit at the end. You can use whatever veggies you like best in here. There are also recipes for rice and pad thai on their website - I bet both would be yummy!

Thai Ginger Chicken & Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Swanson/Campbell's Kitchen

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used Trader Joe's coconut oil cooking spray)
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchstick-thin strips (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium red pepper, cut into 2-inch matchstick-thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, cremini)
1 cup raw broccoli
1/2 cup yellow onion cut into thin strips
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1/2 cup baby corn
1 carton (32 ounces) Swanson® Thai Ginger Flavor Infused Broth
2 cups cooked chicken
1 can (about 14 ounces) unsweetened light coconut milk
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste at the end


Directions
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the carrot, onion, celery, broccoli, baby corn and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the mushrooms.

Add the broth to the saucepan and heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low.  Stir in the chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is hot, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the light  coconut milk and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.  Stir in the lime juice just before serving. Salt to taste. Spoon a serving of jasmine rice into each bowl, if desired.

NOTE: If you prefer a thicker soup, you can use a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of corn starch and one tablespoon of water mixed together in a bowl) - adding one 1 tablespoon of each at a time (I ended up using 3 tablespoons each to get it to my desired thickness).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment