Monday, February 10, 2014

Weekend Recap and Menu Planning

Looks like Charlotte is in for a second round of winter weather this week - hopefully it's pretty and short-lived. We had another errand filled weekend - oil changes, shoe shopping, furniture building etc.

Saturday we lazed around for most of the morning and then enjoyed a delicious brunch at Tupelo Honey in South End. We'd been in Asheville in the fall for a late lunch and were looking forward to trying the new location in Charlotte. My husband got a gift card for Christmas that sweetened the deal a little bit. Everyone is right when they say it's packed - we arrived around 11 and waited 20-25 minutes for a table for 2. The brunch food was even better than what we'd had in Asheville. Of course the biscuits and jam were delicious. I got the crab scramble and A. had the fried chicken with biscuits & gravy. There were huge chunks of crab meat throughout my scramble and the biscuits and fried chicken were amazing as well. We'll be back for sure, but it won't become our regular place - the parking lot is a disaster and there are plenty of other places you can have brunch without the wait. Next up on my brunch list is either Nan & Byron's brunch buffet, or Queen City Q - if for no other reason than their epic Bloody Mary which comes topped with pulled pork and shrimp.

We also watched a bunch of Olympic events, including my cousin's first race on Sunday morning. She finished in the top 60 and qualified for a race Tuesday morning, while I'll be streaming live. We picked up some copper(plated) mugs recently for the full effect for our Moscow Mules, which we put to use for the Opening Ceremonies.

When we went by our house on Sunday afternoon but the garage door was down and the doors were locked, so we did a lot of peeking in windows. I'm excited that the doors are locked - it means that they're on to things that they don't want stolen! 16 days to closing.
Only a few exterior changes since last week - downspouts, garage door, lighting fixture/outlets etc.
I wrote about our new living room furniture last week. We'd planned to keep it boxed up for the next few weeks, but ended up putting together (I mostly watched, but tightened a few screws here and there) the media cabinet and coffee table over the weekend when we cleared off the old ones for sale/donation. I love them! I think it's a sign that I'm officially old and lame that I'm this excited about furniture. I'm also waiting on an area rug for our sunroom that I ordered during a flash 60% off sale last week.

And now for our meals for this week:
Oven Fried Pork Chops, Garlic Pasta, Salad
Chicken Gyros with Tomato & Cucumber Salad
Roasted Chicken and Vegetables with Green Beans
Penne A la Betsy (Shrimp Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce) and salad

Make sure you stock up on all the necessities for possible snow day(s) - at our house that means plenty of movies, snacks, and spiked hot chocolate. Never understood the milk, bread & eggs craze - I usually only buy those every few weeks...maybe most people make french toast on snow days?

No comments:

Post a Comment