Monday, February 3, 2014

Weekend Recap

We had an unintentionally busy weekend - but it was really productive. My husband's travel is slowing down a bit (after getting caught in Atlanta an extra day and night because of the snow & ice), so we're back into the swing of things.

Friday night we had dinner at Cajun Queen in Elizabeth. I had a Groupon that was about to expire so we finally stopped procrastinating and went. I thought it was pretty good but I think I've been ruined for cajun food by our 4 years in the Gulf and a few trips to Louisiana. After dinner we watched some movies from Redbox and called it an early night.

Saturday we were up early and ran a bunch of errands and got our grocery shopping out of the way. I was hoping that by going fairly early on Saturday would help us beat the crowds stocking up for the Super Bowl, but not so much. I've never seen our Harris Teeter so crazy, every checkout line was open and each one had long lines.

Sunday was the day of taking advantage of big sales. I've hated our current coffee table and TV stand for years - and I'd been eyeing a set for awhile - between a furniture sale and a 15% off coupon we saved almost $300 - so we went for it. We also got a new bedding set at West Elm on clearance, so we can replace an old "bed in a bag" set that A. bought when he moved to Cleveland right after college.

As is our Sunday tradition, we also stopped by our house and we have grass, paint, cabinets and countertops, and a few of our wrought iron balusters are in! This week we'll get floors and other fixtures. It's coming together so quickly now. I think I'm in denial a little bit because we should really probably start packing.


Did you watch the Super Bowl? Puppy or kitten bowl? What was on your menu? Our final menu ended up being pretty delicious - but definitely not typical Super Bowl fare. I spent a lot of time researching different recipes from Seattle and Denver and this is what I came up with:

Grilled Balsamic Salmon Kebabs
Barbecue Bison Burgers with a Coffee-Dry Rub
Baked Potatoes

Since we ended up having such a busy day on Sunday, I didn't make any of my typical dips, snacks or dessert. I wasn't impressed with the commercials, and didn't care much about the game. My husband pointed out that the commercials might not be as good now that companies are "leaking" their would-be Super Bowl commercials online and saying they're banned to get them to go viral. Why pay the huge Super Bowl prices if you can just put it on Youtube? I think he might be on to something, but I hope not because so many who never watch football make a point to watch the Super Bowl.

2 comments:

  1. Girl you are getting so close to closing! When you move in, you'll have to take a break from unpacking to come over for a cocktail or glass of wine. I tried to reply to your comment and it came up as no-reply. We hung the TV ourselves. One of our friends had done his so we had him come over and give us pointers and ended up saving a lot of money. There are some handymen that will do it for less than Best Buy, though, and they will sometimes bundle it with installing your fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up - I made some profile changes and I guess that box got un-checked.

      I know! I can't believe how fast it's going now!

      Delete